Thursday, August 11, 2005

Private moon mission update

Just got off the phone with Eric Anderson, CEO of Space Adventures. Yesterday his company announced the first privately funded mission to the moon (see my last post). It's a real mission that really will happen. Space Adventures has cut a deal with the Russian Space Agency to use existing hardware. I got some more details from Anderson, who is absolutely glowing; this is the biggest coup yet for the company that brokered the first tourist flights to the International Space Station.

I'm writing up a report for Wired News now. I'll post the link when I have it, probably early next week. The important thing to note now is that the mission will not orbit the moon as I and the New York Times reported, but will use a free-return trajectory, where the craft will loop around the moon and sling back to Earth without going into orbit. This is a less technically ambitious mission than going into lunar orbit, but still amazing: the Russians are going to upstage NASA's own return-to-the-moon program by getting there first (by 2010 instead of 2018).

I told you things were going to get wild! Stay tuned....

No comments: