Monday, December 18, 2006

Rocketeers complete

Today I handed in the first draft of Rocketeers, my forthcoming book on commercial spaceflight. All 117,007 words of it, including endnotes. That's 389 manuscript pages, for those of you who don't get paid by the word. Or, probably about 320 pages in the published book.

Getting the manuscript in to my editor at Smithsonian Books today puts me right on schedule for the planned July 31, 2007 publication date. Just in time to take a little breather for the holidays, too.

Once I get my editor's feedback, I'll have to get cracking on rewrites and fact checking. And gathering photos for the photo spread, which will be in full color, I'm happy to report. And putting together an index.

Still a lot of work to be done, but the biggest chunk of it is behind me--three years of research and a year of writing. Whew!

Here's an updated chapter list:

Foreword (by a celebrity)
Prologue: Full Circle (origins of the book)
Chapter 1: Space or Bust (the X Prize)
Chapter 2: Go! (X Prize competitors)
Chapter 3: The Homebuilt Spaceship (SpaceShipOne)
Chapter 4: SpaceShipOne, Government Zero (winning the X Prize)
Chapter 5: NASA Hitches a Ride (X Prize aftermath)
Chapter 6: The 200G Roller Coaster (first commercial spacelines)
Chapter 7: Orbit on a Shoestring (SpaceX)
Chapter 8: Budget Suites of Outer Space (Bigelow Aerospace)
Chapter 9: Spaceport! (spaceports)
Chapter 10: The Sky's No Limit (the future)
End notes
Index

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! The chapter titles are enticing. The whole thing radiates enthusiasm. I look forward to buying my copy. And to one day traveling into orbit, or beyond.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news Michael. I can't wait to read your book. I feel like there will be a lot of hope in it. A lot of hope for the future of mankind.

Best regards,

Mark Greene

Matt Wronkiewicz said...

Very exciting. I look forward to buying myself a copy. If you want more feedback, I'd be happy to pick some nits out of your proof.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Michael! I'm looking forward to the book.

Anonymous said...

Any way to pre-register with B&N or Amazon ?
Hell, it works for Harry Potter books....LOL

Michael Belfiore said...

Hey, that's a good idea. I'll find out about that.

Anonymous said...

I see that in your book you have included a couple chapters about the XPrize foundation. I thought you might be interested to know that they are ramping up their next contest. You can participate in and view the early stages of it at www.zannel.com/xprize.