Monday, October 31, 2005

Rocketplane update

I've just learned that Rocketplane has in fact approached the FAA about their spaceship in progress. I don't know anything beyond that at this point, will let you know when I do.

[sqeak-squeak-squeak]

That's the sound of me backpedaling just a bit. Seems Rocketplane really is serious about following through. I apologize for suggesting otherwise.

I remain skeptical about the company's plan, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I say a good healthy dose of skepticism never hurt anyone about to climb into a commercial spaceship fueled with explosive liquids. Keep the feedback coming....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liquid explosives? Do you mean like gasoline?

Michael Belfiore said...

Kerosene and liquid oxygen, a highly explosive combo. Virgin's ships will use non-exposive synthetic rubber and nitrous oxide.

Anonymous said...

for really good feedback, see The Hybrid Myth Continues at transterrestrial.com, a good place to learn things

Michael Belfiore said...

Got it, and thanks for that. Have been reading it with interest. And still not convinced that liquid rockets are as safe as hybrids. Toss liquid oxygen and kerosene together and light a match and they'll explode. Can't do that with asphalt and nitrous.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add that much of the public's opinion about Burt's design is based on missinformation. Burt is a Salesman, he's sold a lot of ideas and has been a commercial failure on every attempt. He's a GREAT thinker, and a great point designer, but just as a reference check out SS2 Faces Major Design Decisions. There are a lot of issues with their design, and none of them have been done before... everything about rocketplane is off the shelf, just never combined commercially for civilians!