Sunday, April 22, 2007

Destination Space


Looks like the Virgin Group has beat me to the punch with a commercial spaceflight book out a few months in advance of my Rocketeers.

I don't consider this book a true competitor, though, since it's published by one of the main players in the commercial spaceflight arena and apparently keeps its focus on that company's activities.

In that light, it's possible to see this as more of a public relations piece than as a work of journalism. Can anyone who has seen the book correct me if I'm wrong? Comments welcome!

My book is unaffiliated with any of the NewSpace companies and thus avoids any conflicts of interest. It also covers a broad range of endeavors, not just one.

When last I checked, I was still the only author of a book on this subject to report firsthand not only on the work of Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites, but also on SpaceX, Bigelow Aerospace, Rocketplane Kistler, Armadillo Aerospace, and many others, to present the first comprehensive view of the birth of commercial spaceflight.

From the latest Virgin Galactic newsletter, released Friday:
"Read all about the amazing Galactic story in Virgin Books' new publication 'Destination Space', which features Virgin Galactic.

Award winning writer Kenny Kemp, goes in search of the story behind the first commercial space flight, discovering the major players in the race and the science, business and politics behind this incredible breakthrough. At the centre of the story are the paying passenger astronauts who have demonstrated their passion and commitment to the project."

The book is available now in the U.K., and is scheduled for release in the U.S. on May 29.

Stay tuned for more news of Rocketeers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems a bit coincidental that this post arrives at the same time this post from Seth Godin does.

Without having read the book, I think that the average reader will judge their book less trustworthy than Virgin's, because as Seth says, it's their worldview. Either way, I'm looking forward to Rocketeers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

You can find a review of Destination Space at

http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=454912007

I've just got my copy and from what I've read so far the review seems pretty accurate. The book has some nice anecdotes and background but is surprisingly light on analysis, especially from a buisness journalist!

Really pleased to hear Rocketeers is progressing well. My copy is on order, best of luck with it!